The Federal State Autonomous Scientific Institution Center for Sociological Research («Sociocenter») is a non-profit organization founded on November 28, 2011 by order number 2758 of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation. The Ministry also supervises the operations of the center. It was conceptually founded based on its 2001 predecessor, the Center for Sociological Research, which was also known as the Sociocenter. Moreover, it is the assignee of the first Sociocenter, the State Budget Institution Center for Sociological Research, established in 1992 by the Ministry of Higher Education under the State Committee for Science and Technology.
Before 2001, Sociocenter was headed by Valentina Gennadievna Harcheva, a professor at Moscow State University. Between May 2001 and November 2013, its permanent leader was Franz Edmundovich Sheregi, a Soviet and Russian sociologist and an affiliate of the philosophical sciences. Mr. Sheregi has written more than 50 monographs on the sociology of education, the sociology of science, the sociology of deviation and has co-authored the first interactive textbook on applied sociology with M. Gorshkov.
In its scientific work, the Sociocenter has been interacting with the Institute of Sociology of the Russian Academy of Sciences, the Institute of Socio-Political Research of the Russian Academy of Sciences, leading universities, and other significant scientific centers of the Russian Federation for more than 15 years.
More than 130 books on sociology, the social problems of Russian youth and students, demography, education and science, international cooperation in the humanitarian sphere, and allied topics have been published under the aegis of the Sociocenter. Some of these volumes include the following:
- Sheregi, F. E. Sociology of Education: Applied Research. M. Academia, 2001, 464 pages
- Sheregi, F. E. Sociology of Entrepreneurship: Applied Research. M. Center of Social Forecasting (CSF), 2002, 536 pages
- Dmitriev, N. M. Export Potential of Russian Universities. М., CSF, 2003, 562 pages
- Gorshkov, M. K. & Sheregi, F. E. Applied Sociology. Textbook for high schools. M., CSF together with the Institute of Sociology Russian Academy of Sciences, 2003, 311 pages
- Chepurny, E. E., Arefiev, A. L. et al (Eds.), Russian Language in the World: The Current State and Trends of Distribution. Joint publication with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Russia. М., CSF, 2005, 208 pages
- Shlyapenthok, V. E. Problems of the Quality of Sociological Information: Reliability, Representativeness, Prognostic Potential. М., CSF, 2006, 664 pages
- Rutkevich, M. N. Education of the Russian Population at the End of the XIX — Beginning of the XX Century. M., CSF, 2007, 72 pages
- Gorshkov, M. K. & Sheregi, F. E. Applied Sociology: Methodology and Methods. Textbook for high schools. M., Center of Social Forecasting and Marketing (CSFM), 2009, 416 pages
- Toshchenko, Zh. T. Sociology of Management. Textbook for high schools. M., CSFM, 2011, 300 pages
- Doctors, B. Z. Contemporary Russian Sociology. Historical and biographical research. In 3 volumes. Electronic edition. M., CSFM, 2012, 2161 pages
- Lenkov, R. V. Social Forecasting and Design. Textbook for high schools and for undergraduate courses. M., CSFM together with the State University of Management, 2013, 192 pages
- Osipov, G. V. & Klimovitsky, S. V. Indicators of Science and Technology: History, Methodology, Measurement Standards. M., CSFM, 2014, 180 pages
- Gorshkova, M. K., Arefieva, A. L., Klyuchareva, G. A., & Sheregi, F. E. (eds), Education and Science in Russia: the state and development potential. Digest of treatises. M., Center for Sociological Research in conjunction with the Ministry of
- Sheregi, F. E., & Arefieva, A. L. Education and Science of the Russian Federation, Institute of Sociology Russian Academy of Sciences, ed. 2016, 384 pages
- Sheregi, F. E., Arefiev, A. L., & Tsarkov. P. E. M. Conditions of Work of Teachers: Chronometric and Sociological Analysis / Center for Sociological Research, 2016, 327 pages.
More details on the list of published books can be found here.
The books published with the participation of the Sociocenter are sent to the libraries of higher educational institutions, to the educational authorities of the Russian Federation, and to the libraries of leading foreign universities.
The main focus of the center’s activities is on conducting comprehensive research and development in the field of education and the application of scientific and methodological support for the implementation of priority areas for the development of education and science.
Since 2001, the center has conducted more than 400 sociological studies and has made observations on the sociology of education and science, the upbringing and social activity of young people, the phenomena of deviation in the youth environment, and the means of counteracting narcotic and alcohol addiction. The activities of the center include the annual monitoring of the following:
- the effectiveness of the implementation of the state’s scientific program by universities, research organizations and production companies in the interests of developing innovative production and training analysts
- the satisfaction of various social groups of the population with the quality of educational services provided by educational organizations at all levels
- modernization of educational process of national and scientific universities according to the federal state educational standards;
- administration of narcotics and alcohol addiction prevention measures of various social groups of young people and the effectiveness of preventive work of general education institutions
In addition, the Sociocenter is entrusted with the following:
- formation of statistical data on foreign students studying in Russian universities
- research of the export potential of Russian universities and forecasting trends in the number of foreign students up to 2035
- medium-term (up to 2025) and promising (up to 2035) estimation of young people of the Russian Federation at all levels of education in segmentation by subjects
Also among center’s primary tasks are the following programs and activities:
- expert evaluation of the effectiveness of implementing large-scale national projects in the field of education (such as the national project on education; the improvement of the standardization of work of teachers and labor; Decree No. 218 and No. 219 of April 9, 2010 on scientific cooperation between universities, research institutes, and manufacturing companies)
- preparation of analytical notes and reports for the purpose of informational support of the state educational policy at all levels of education
- methodical and consulting support of territorial educational management bodies and universities on improving the quality of education, strengthening the educational function of educational organizations, enhancing the effectiveness of scientific work, and bolstering the effectiveness of the export of educational services
- executing applied and fundamental scientific research and experimental development in the fields of science and education
- conducting all-Russian and regional monitoring of the effectiveness of the implementation of educational policy and innovation processes in science
- investigating the export potential of Russian universities and ideating ways to strengthen their status in the international educational market
- disseminating sociological knowledge to a broad base; this task includes the preparation and publication of monographs, scientific information materials, and interactive teaching aids
Since 2013, the Sociocenter has been responsible for supporting the project for enhancing the competitiveness of leading universities of the Russian federation among the world’s leading research and educational centers (Project 5-100), initiated by the Decree of the President of the Russian Federation On Measures to Implement State Policy in Education and Science of May 7, 2012, No. 599.
Within the framework of Project 5-100, the Center does the following:
- organizes seminars and conferences on the execution of action plans for the implementation by universities/winners of programs to improve competitiveness («road maps»)
- administers and participates in international educational exhibitions, conferences, etc. and coordinates the representation of Project 5-100 at these international events
- provides analytical assistance for Project 5-100; this support includes tracing the positions of winning universities in various world rankings; analyzing the methodology of ratings; tracking the changes in the process; and evaluating the dynamics of the main indicators of the Project 5-100
- grants expert and methodological support to leading universities of the Russian Federation
- prepared reference material and analytical information for meetings of the Council on Global Competitiveness Enhancement of Russian Universities among Global Leading Research and Education Centers
- working with databases of scientific citation and the data of world university ratings
- creating analytical material, references, reports, articles, and reviews on the progress of the Project 5-100 at the request of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation
- develops, supports, and updates the website of the Project 5-100 (available at https://5top100.ru and the site https://studyinrussia.ru)
Management: Acting Director of the Sociocenter — Polikhina Nadezhda Alexandrovna.
01 January 2017
Information on income and property of the Director of the Federal State Autonomous Scientific Institution Center for Sociological Research, his (her) spouse and minor children for the period from January 1 till December 31, 2016.